DVSA’s revised guide to maintaining roadworthiness (Nov 18) highlights taking a risk-based approach to tyre management.
Whether you’re ensuring tyre pressures are maintained or that on-site tyres are properly stored, the importance of adequate tyre management should never be underestimated.
There’s also updated guidance on the age of vehicle tyres, as well as recommended safety inspection intervals based on your type of operation.
- That tyres in service are appropriate to the vehicle and operating conditions
- That tyre age is monitored and that tyres aged more than 10 years old should not be used except on a rear axle as part of a twin wheel arrangement. Where tyres more than 10 years old are used, their age should be recorded and a specific risk assessment, that considers the speed and loading conditions that the vehicle will operate under (for example, operating only in urban areas) is done
- Tyre pressures are maintained and monitored
- That vehicle tyres are regularly and closely examined for damage and wear with mechanisms in place to address any identified issues
- That processes exist to distribute best practice in tyre management throughout the fleet
- That staff dealing with tyre management are properly trained and empowered to act with sufficient authority
- That any technician dealing with tyre inspections or repairs is properly trained and qualified
- That any on-site tyres are properly stored
- That drivers are properly trained and equipped to recognise and report tyre issues.
CheckedSafe develop Apps and web-based reporting systems with integrated compliance and safety applications that are multi-functional and secure. The system offers organisations complete solutions, which enables them to manage and protect their workforce and comply with legal and commercial requirements whilst reducing cost and liability.
Our management team formed CheckedSafe with a vision to provide contemporaneous compliance solutions that could be tailored to any industry. Together with our dedicated team of developers and client account managers, we are now providing compliance services across commercial and plant hire vehicles, Utilities and many other service sectors that are monitored for compliance and efficiency.